Are you concerned about teens in our community being at risk for substance abuse? Is your teen’s behavior “typical”, or is it something more? Does your teen or his/her friends exhibit several of these behaviors? Changes in sleep patterns…Changes in eating habits…Sudden/dramatic mood swings…Increase in accidents/injuries…Poor coordination/motor control…Withdrawal from family/friends…Persistent illness such as coughing, nausea, dizziness…Paranoia or secrecy…Dramatic drop in academics…Slurred speech, glassy eyes…Poor personal hygiene…Nervousness, anxiety…Loss of interest…Behavior problems
“Moriches Bay in the kNOw” Community Prevention Coalition!
Our Mission: To prevent teens from engaging in substance abuse. We are an alliance among all sectors of our communities, educating parents, working on teen prevention solutions, and acting as a resource for families in crisis. Follow us on facebook to learn our meeting dates.
- Recognized by NYS Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS).
- Mapping Activity and Online Survey to identify trouble spots and issues in the community
- Coalition works closely with SC Police Dept. regarding community drug activity hot spots, and contributed to the arrest, prosecution and incarceration of a local heroin dealer
- “Too Good for Drugs” prevention program now being taught in 4th and 5th grades
- Administered NY StateYouth Development Survey to students in grades 7-12 in 2015 and mini survey in 2018
- Students and parents encouraged to sign a “Drug Free” Contract
- Partnered with SADD Club students to bring “Arrive Alive” Driving Simulator program to CMHS students
- “Not On Your Life” activity where CMHS students visited businesses with stickers, posters and info to create awareness of dangers of underage drinking and to curb availability of alcohol to minors.
- Educational information provided to parents and residents at numerous school and community events
- Training given on how to administer NARCAN in the event of an opiate overdose
- Ex NBA pro basketball player, Chris Herren spoke of his inspiring story of recovery from heroin addiction
- Ads printed on local pharmacy Rx bags with tips on how to keep medicines and teens safe from abuse.
- Town Hall events to prevent underage drinking
- The Ugly Truth event in collaboration with Suffolk County PD and Center Moriches Schools
- Informational coffee cup sleeves 2 week promotion with prevention tips for parents
- Dr. Stephen Dewey, brain researcher, spoke several times with Center Moriches students in grades 7-12 on the impact of substance use on the teen brain
- Teen and Adult Summer Wellness sessions
- Mindfulness/Meditation/Yoga program to all Center Moriches students in grades 6-12 teaching simple skills to cope with stress and emotions
Parents…You are the most powerful influence in your child’s life… Learn how to make a difference! Check our calendar for the next meeting date, and please join us!