Are you concerned about teens in our community being at risk for substance abuse? Is your teen’s behavior “typical”, or is it something more? Does your teen or his/her friends exhibit several of these behaviors? Changes in sleep patterns…Changes in eating habits…Sudden/dramatic mood swings…Increase in accidents/injuries…Poor coordination/motor control…Withdrawal from family/friends…Persistent illness such as coughing, nausea, dizziness…Paranoia or secrecy…Dramatic drop in academics…Slurred speech, glassy eyes…Poor personal hygiene…Nervousness, anxiety…Loss of interest…Behavior problems
“Moriches Bay in the kNOw” Community Prevention Coalition!
Our Mission: To prevent teens from engaging in substance abuse. We are an alliance among all sectors of our communities, educating parents, working on teen prevention solutions, and acting as a resource for families in crisis. We meet the first Monday of each month at 7pm at the Center Moriches High School library.
– Recognized by NYS Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS).
– Mapping Activity and Online Survey to identify trouble spots and issues in the community
– Coalition worked closely with SC Police Dept. regarding community drug activity hot spots, contributing to the arrest, prosecution and incarceration of a local heroin dealer
– “Too Good for Drugs” prevention program now being taught in 4th and 5th grades
– NY StateYouth Development Survey administered in grades 7-12 – Students and parents encouraged to sign a “Drug Free” Contract – Partnered with SADD Club students to bring “Arrive Alive” Driving Simulator program to CMHS students
– “Not On Your Life” activity where CMHS students visited businesses with stickers, posters and info to create awareness of dangers of underage drinking and to curb availability of alcohol to minors.
– Educational information provided to parents and residents at numerous school and community events
– Training was given on how to administer NARCAN in the event of an opiate overdose
– Weekly women’s Heroin Anonymous group support meeting began at Moriches Comm. Center
– Ex NBA pro basketball player, Chris Herren, gave a powerful talk re: his inspiring story of recovery from heroin addiction
– Ads printed on local pharmacy Rx bags educating on how to keep medicines and teens safe from abuse. – Town Hall event to prevent underage drinking – The Ugly Truth event in collaboration with Suffolk County PD and Center Moriches Schools – Informational coffee cup sleeves 2 week promotion with tips for parents – Dr. Stephen Dewey, brain researcher, spoke with Center Moriches students in grades 7-12 on the impact of substance use on the teen brain
Parents…You are the most powerful influence in your child’s life… Learn how to make a difference! Check our calendar for the next meeting date, and please join us!
Presented by Moriches Community Center, Local Link Recovery Resources, LI Prevention Resource Center, Just Human Fund, and HUGS. For more information email gro.r1540321134etnec1540321134ytinu1540321134mmocs1540321134ehcir1540321134om@of1540321134ni1540321134.